Friday, December 28, 2012

For the Love of an Ocarina (or Music to Stir the Soul)

No, this won't be a huge post. I won't be proliferating about this or that. Honestly, I'm trying to ease myself back into being accustomed to writing just for the sake of writing, not necessarily for anyone, cause, or thing. I write. I love to write. I always have. It moves my soul. It will always be a part of me.

There are many things that can move a soul, cause someone to spring to action, or just help them acknowledge the Divine that lives within us and all things. Recently a friend introduced me to the ocarina. An ocarina, for those that do not know, is a wind instrument. It reminds me of wooden flutes and pan pipes; it definitely has the allure of those too. I fell in love the minute I heard the ocarina play. My friend gave me a link to someone playing "Over Misty Mountains Cold" (from The Hobbit) on an ocarina; on several different ones, actually, and the guitar. The sound was so gorgeous, so moving, so soul stirring. Now, ages ago, I took flute lessons (another wind instrument) and succeeded in coming to the realization that it wasn't for me (You can read that as I sucked at it and thusly it was a "fail" experience.), and gave it up. My younger sister is the most amazing flute and piccolo player though. :)

Something about the ocarina (and oy are there many varieties to choose from) called me back to give another go at a wind instrument. Now, I had never thought I would have one in my hands so quickly. It came to me talking to my husband one night and we were looking at different ones. He began to wonder how easily the instrument could be played. Mind you, this is the guy who can play 5 instruments or so. Personally, I thought he was taking an interest. Little did I know, he turned right around and ordered one for me until I opened it last night during our Yule celebrations.

Immediately I tried to figure it out. In fact, I spent two hours after I put the kids to bed just playing. I completely love this instrument. It speaks to my soul and the sound is incredible. I have fund all sorts of songs I am intent on learning, as well as several songs that I am working on mastering. Yes, I said mastering. I don't want to sound like a third grader attempting to play "Hot Cross Buns" on a recorder with a bunch of other third graders at a school concert while the parents all seem to listen intently while inside their minds are screaming "Will this ever end? Please stop the torture!" I don't want to just "muddle through," but, rather, I want to master it as best as I can, so the music is fluid and I am easily moving from note to note.

For me, there is something soul-soothing about the ocarina. It lifts my spirits, speaks to my soul, and moves me. Music can be like that for me, in general, but never have I found it in the love of an instrument. Now I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment