Friday, August 12, 2011

Move Over Cupcakes! There's a yummier treat in town!

Recently, I was offered the opportunity to do a blog review of the book Ice Pop Joy by Anni Daulter. Being that the days have been so hot, and I am not always a huge fan of giving my kids sugary snacks or desserts, I said yes. Let me tell you how happy I was to do so!




Ice Pop Joy is filled with amazing (and amazingly easy), yummy recipes for creating healthy desserts in the form of popsicles. I love frozen fruit bars, but never thought I could love popsicles made with vegetables. I have many fond memories as a child making popsicles from Juicy Juicy. Now, I am sharing these experiences with my own children, and, with Anni's book Ice Pop Joy, I can take it a step further and make it nutritious as well.

Now, not only will you find the recipes simple to follow, Anni Daulter has really taken the book a step further. She offers tips on getting your kids to eat healthy, gives an explanation of the different, healthier option sweeteners that are listed throughout the recipes, as well as, discussing about buying local and fresh. You will also find a breakdown of the different pop molds that are available to purchase from stainless steel to getting creative with something like a loaf pan. Ms. Daulter explains the equipment needed and also explains why. At the bottom of each page that features a recipe, you will find shopping tips, seasonal tips, booster (as in immunity) tips, or health tips. The end of the book lists out resources and references for items that may be a little harder to come by at your local market.

Recipe after recipe is filled with yummy goodness that you aren't going to find in the freezer aisle of your local grocery store chain. There aren't just recipes with fruit, or vegetables. There are recipes that have both, recipes that include tofu, soy milk, and even herbal teas. There is a recipe to fit practically every palate out there.

My kids and I had such a wonderful time with this book and making some of the different pops. What really makes me happy is knowing that what they are eating is good and good for them. There's no guessing what they might be ingesting or trying to decode the ingredient label on a box. I know exactly what it is they are eating because it was made at home.

I highly recommend this book to anyone and everyone. Popsicles created, or even inspired, from Ice Pop Joy beat out the world's best cupcake on any given day of the week, hands down. Having tried out recipes from this book, I went to the library and borrowed a copy of Anni Daulter's first book, Organically Raised: Conscious Cooking for Babies and Toddlers. All I can say is YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment