Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Rupert's Tales - a Pagan Mama's Review

Today's book review is a Pagan children's series entitled Rupert's Tales: The Wheel of the Year by Kyrja and illustrated by Tonia Bennington Osborn. The 1st book in this series covers Beltane, Litha, Lammas & Mabon, while the second book covers Samhain, Yule, Imbolc & Ostara. I have 6 kids, as most ofyou know, so I am always on the lookout for something Pagan-centered for them. Let me tell you that hands-down, these are the perfect books for walking your younger children through the wheel of the year. In the two books, readers are following Rupert, a bunny rabbit, through the seasons. Rupert happens to have found his way to the sacred meeting place of humans who gather at a particular time each year, celebrating the passing of their seasons and holidays. Along his road to discovery of what these humans do as the seasons change, Rupert meets various forest friends that explain and teach him about the Wheel of the Year. I was enchanted by both books. The illustrations are beautiful and the stories magickal. The author, Kyrja, has an incredible way of explaining the turning of the wheel so that even your younger children will understand and grasp the concept. The day I received these books in the mail, my youngest, who, at the time of this show is still not yet 2 years of age, was all over these and completely engrossed. All of my children have loved hearing the stories contained within these two beautiful books. In a time when I have heard many parents speak out about needing more published works from a Pagan perspective that are geared for children, Kyrja and Rupert's Tales answer that cry for help. I also happen to have the companion activity book, which is exactly that, a Wheel of the Year activity book based off of the stories from within both books. There are coloring pages, along with activities for your children. These books are definitely a treasured keepsake. Not only are these books fantastic, but I was excited to hear that Kyrja and Tonia have teamed up again for 3 more books! That's right! Rupert's Tales will have 3 additional books full of tales (no pun intended) of this awesome bunny who has so much to teach our children.

So, do I love these books? You bet! And, I recommend them to any parent, grandparent, babysitter, aunt or uncle, or anyone! And, just because these books have a Pagan-based theme, doesn't mean that others won't find them just as enchanting and delightful. So, hop on over to your favorite bookseller or Amazon.com and share the joys of Rupert's Tales with someone you love.

Want more Rupert than just what's out? Check out their Facebook page: Friends of Rupert at www.facebook.com/FriendsOfRupert and head on over to their main website: www.friends-of-rupert.webs.com

That wraps up my reviews for today. I truly do love these books and am incredibly grateful to have had the opportunity to review more published works that are greatly needed and desired within the Pagan community.

Blessings!

~Raven

**NOTE: I was in no way compensated for my review or any review that appears on my blog, my radio show, or anywhere else. These reviews are of my own free-standing opinion.**

1 comment:

  1. This is wonderful! I'm always looking for fun holiday books to share with our Little Princess. And to a six-year-old obsessed with animals and faeries, this is pure yum!

    Thanks so much for sharing ;-)

    ReplyDelete